Monday, November 10, 2008

What were your favourite childhood toys?

I don’t particularly remember early years’ teddy bears and the like but I loved my set(s) of building blocks, Lott’s Bricks. They were ceramic blocks in rectangular and triangle shapes to build houses, etc. with folding cardboard roofs. I later was very lucky – and very spoilt – to get a couple of the smaller Meccano sets, 1 and 1a making 1 up to 2 and so on and one year, joy of joys, I got a second-hand number 10, I think the top of the range at the time. Where the heck Dad got it from, I don’t know but that was heaven with the vast variety of metal strips, plates, rods, wheels, gears and clockwork motors. Wow!! A few years on, I had a Trix Twin model railway set – unique at the time because, with a current-carrying third rail in between the outer ones, you could run two trains on the same line at the same time although the engines and rolling stock were not as realistic as, say Hornby Dublo or some of the German and Swiss systems (Faller was one)

No comments: