Monday, November 10, 2008

What are your earliest memories?

When I was a toddler, probably around two, I remember us going back to Mexborough to the house of a former work colleague of my Dad’s – I think maybe he was the person in charge of the section Dad was on and, if memory serves me correctly, who I subsequently came to call “Uncle Frank” and who always called me ‘Pinkle Ponkle’ (how embarrassing is that??) – and whilst left alone in their lounge reached for a pottery camel which was on a mantel shelf and dropped it!!! Boy, was I in trouble as this had been an ornament “U F” had brought back from abroad and as such, irreplaceable. I think a sore bottom ensued!! So much for Mexborough!

I remember playing in our garden in Huddersfield and going down the road to the local Co-op with Mum. Some days, Mum and I would take the trolley bus (tickets 1 penny for Mum and a halfpenny for me or double that for a return ticket for the ride of three miles each way) and go into town and during shopping, would call in at the Lyons corner house where I was treated to scrumptious cream buns and a drink.

No comments: